- About us
- Training & Careers
- Contact us
The Nutritional Biomarker Analysis Laboratories (NBA) provide core analytical support for the MRC Elsie Widdowson Laboratory and its collaborators, both national and international. All assays within NBA are calibrated using standard reference materials where available, and we participate in nationally and internationally organised quality assurance schemes. We are accredited to ISO 9001:2008 and have a comprehensive system of sample storage (-80oC), monitoring and retrieval. Assays not mentioned below can be set up on these platforms as required, where practicable and by negotiation.
For further information and enquiries please contact a member of the Nutritional BioAnalysis team.
Assays currently available:
- 25-Hydroxyvitamin D by LCMS/MS – Quantitation of the D2, D3 and epi D3 forms of the vitamin (plasma or serum)
- Folate Vitamers by LCMS/MS – Quantitation of six folate vitamers including unmetabolised folic acid (serum)
- Specialised assays specific to nutritional research:
- gut permeability (lactulose:mannitol ratios)
- p-amino benzoic acid (PABA) for assessing completeness of 24 hr urine collections
- vitamin C in stabilised plasma
- vitamin B1 status (erythrocyte transketolase activation coefficient)
- vitamin B2 status (erythrocyte glutathione reductase activation coefficient)
- Trace element analysis by ICPMS and ICPOES
- Se, Zn, Iodine are routinely measured; other elements can be set up
- Immunoassays – instrumental (Siemens ProSpec, Dimension) or ELISA; a wide range of analytes is available; please enquire. ELISAs can be automated as necessary on a Launch DS2.
- Gas chromatography (GC) (FID) analysis of derivatised fatty acids (FAMEs) in a very wide range of human tissue types. The majority of our work has been on plasma phospholipid samples with several thousand samples having been analysed since 2010.
- High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)of vitamins in plasma:
- vitamin K, as phylloquinone
- Simultaneous fat soluble vitamin analysis of ten analytes; vitamin A, vitamin E and a range of carotenoids
- vitamin B6, as pyridoxal phosphate and pyridoxic acid
- vitamin B2, as FAD, FMH and RBF
- Automated clinical chemistry analysisin mmol-µmol per litre range (serum, plasma, urine) on Siemens Dimension Xpand. A wide range of analytes is available.
NBA contact: Lorna Cox – Team Leader
Clinical Chemistry: Kate Guberg – Senior Analyst
LC-MS/MS and trace elements: Sarah Meadows – Senior Analyst
Chromatography: Stephen Young – Senior Analyst